Candied Orange Peel
- 5 naval oranges
- 3 cups sugar + some for rolling
- 1 cup water + more for boiling
Directions:1. Cut the top and bottom off of the orange. Then score from ass to mouth (haha) but don't cut into the flesh of the orange. Make about 4-6 scores, then peel off the skin.
2. Place the peels in a pot (2 quarts?) and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil, then drain. Do this 2 more times (a total of 3 times). Apparently this will influence the tenderness and the bitterness (???).
3. In a pot bring the 3cups sugar and 1cup of water to a simmer (about 230F). Simmer for a few minutes (I was busy Fing up meringues to keep track of the total time). Then add the peels and continue to simmer for an hour or until peels are translucent. don't stir the pot. If necessary, swirl the pot to ensure the top pieces are syrup coated.
4. WTF!... Peels are peels... I can't see through them! .. uh.. I guess this is translucent. Drain the peels and blot off extra sugar syrup.
5. Roll in sugar then place on a wire rack for soooo many hours (4+). I think I will let them sit over night before dipping in chocolate.