Thursday, December 29, 2011

My New Obsession

I bet you didn't know I have giant hands.

Dollhouse miniature food. turnips, squash, mushrooms and bread
dollhouse turnips and squash
OK, I confess, the food is actually really tiny. I have been making dollhouse miniature food for a couple of months now. I don't have a dollhouse or a doll, yet I have enough miniature clay food to feed a little clay village....

Dollhouse bread, grapes, cheese and tomatoes
Dollhouse salami, bread and cheese
Dollhouse sandwich making table
Making dollhouse food is pretty easy. All you need is some Sculpey (polymare clay). The extra details come from 1) texture (using a tooth pick or a tooth brush) 2) chalk (colored chalk) and sometimes 3) liquid Sculpey. There are an unlimited number of tutorials on YouTube. I get a kick out of finding something in the kitchen and trying to replicate it in miniature form.

Clay for making dollhouse food
liquid clay. Great for making eggs and cake frosting

6 comments:

  1. These are incredibly cute. I used to do stuff like this all the time as a kid, and quite frankly, this post makes me want to do it again.

    -Allison, thebestofthymes.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. a friend of mine said the same thing. Its loads of fun. I love seeing what other people can do and try to figure out how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you glaze these to get them shiny? If so, what do you use? They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I glazed the tomatoes, grapes, peppers and the egg. I use FolkArt Artists' varnish satin finish.

    http://www.plaidonline.com/folkart-finishes-artists-varnish-gloss-2-oz/51/882/product.htm

    I apply 2-3 coats with a soft paint brush. I have never used the Sculpey specific varnish. This varnish is just what I had around. It seems to work just fine.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...