Monday, May 6, 2019

Vanilla cake with chocolate frosting and orange curd (mini)

Miniature vanilla cake with orange curd and chocolate frosting
This weekend I made two mini cakes. Its been a few years since I made a mini cake. I think these turned out okay though.  Here are my step by step photos.
Brushing chalk on the cake layers to give them a cooked look. Yeah, Im not sure this is a necessary step, unless you do a naked cake. 
1. miz translucent, white and a cream colour together. Then texture with a toothbrush and dust with brown chalk (to give the look of being cooked)

2. Cut out some thinner brown rounds of the same size and some even thinner orange+translucent rounds.
3. Stack them up, and put the cake in the fridge to firm it up. When you cut into it you want it to be cold and firm so that it does not mush together when you cut it.

4. Cut out a slice and be sure to cut directly down (not on a slant).
5. Texture the cake layers (not the chocolate or orange layers). This is the worst part of the whole process. I use the tip of my scalpel to do the fluffing, others use a pin.
6. Frost the cake. The frosting is made by combining brown clay with liquid translucent clay. It will take about 10min of stirring/mushing to blend the two together.
Making a cake board. Chocolate frosting (bottom left) and chocolate bars (bottom right)
7. Finish decorating the cake. I made some orange slices from an old cane (tutorial). Make sure to texture each orange slice. I use a pin and make small indents in each segments. This way it catches the light much better after its been glazed and it looks more real. I also made a few chocolate bars for the cake "board".
Miniature food fridge magnets on my fridge right now. 

2 comments:

  1. What a visual temptation for those of us with a chronic sweet tooth! Your layered cake looks Delicious!!! as do the sushi boards and the pizza- I've gained 5 lbs. simply by looking!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! What should I make next??

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...